Please see answers to the most frequently asked questions below. If your question isn’t listed, please contact us and our team will come back to you with an answer as soon as possible.

Householder FAQ's

Your meter

  • 1.What is an MPRN/MPAN number and how can I find out what mine is?

    MPAN – Electricity 

    The Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN) is a 21-digit number that begins with 25, unique to your property, and usually found on your electricity bill. Please note, all ESP MPANs begin with 25. The number helps your electricity supplier identify your property and provides information about your account.

    MPRN – Gas

    A Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN) is a 10-digit number unique to your property, usually found on your gas bill. The number helps your gas supplier identify your property and provides information about your account. You can find your MPRN, and who your gas transporter is at

  • 2.What is a meter serial number and how can I find it?

    The meter serial number is unique to each individual gas or electricity meter. The meter serial number can be found on the meter near the display.

  • 3.How do I find my meter?


    In most areas, the properties we supply have external meters. You can find it immediately outside the boundary of the property. They will be underground and have a lid. If you have an internal meter, it’s likely to be under your sink.


    Your meter box is likely to be outside at the front or side of your property. If you are in a flat, it will be in a meter room.

  • 4.How do I get a smart meter?


    Your water meter already has an automated meter reading function, which can be turned into a smart meter in the future. We will be in touch when we make this option available in your area.

    In the meantime, you can read your meter at any time. We’ll also visit you to take a reading at least every six months.


    Please get in touch with your gas or electricity supplier if you want a smart meter installed. If you’re not sure who your supplier is, find out here.

  • 5.What do I do if my meter box is damaged?


    Please contact us on 0330 123 4201 if you notice any damage to your water meter (including. flooding etc).


    You are responsible for maintaining the external meter box. If you need to replace it, you can usually buy one at your local builder’s merchants.

    However, if the meter itself is damaged or flooded, and you are having problems taking a reading, we can help. Please email us at so we can find out more about the issue and what action to take.

Moving home

Water customers

If you are an ESP Water customer and moving home, please let us know as soon as possible. We require at least five working days’ notice by phone or 10 working days’ notice by letter, so we can take a meter reading and produce a final bill. Alternatively, you can send us your meter reading yourself.

If you don’t let us know, you could be liable for the charges until the first of the following dates:

  • 28 days after we have been notified.
  • The date when the meter would normally have been read next.
  • The date when someone else notifies us they are the new occupier.

If you need your water or sewerage supply disconnected, you must give us 14 working days’ notice.

If you need any help, please see our frequently asked questions (FAQs) or call our billing team.

Please remember, if your sewerage services are provided by another water company, you will also need to inform them. You can find this information on your bill or contact us for their details.

Gas or electricity customers

As we only act as your network operator for your gas or electricity, there’s no need to let us know you’re moving home. However, you will still need to tell your energy supplier. If you’re unsure who they are, click here to find out how to identify them